Thursday, October 6, 2011

Swaying Palms by Judy Olesen



I have always been a traveler.  I grew up in Michigan and to escape the cold, dark winters, my family vacationed in Florida.  As an adult I lived in London for 2 years.  While living overseas I traveled to Paris, Milan, Geneva, and Kenya, always with camera in hand.  I photograph whatever moves me, but landscape photography gives me the greatest joy. 

Exhibiting in Gallery 21 at Spanish Village has given me an opportunity
to display one of my favorite images - Swaying Palms.  I made this picture on the island of Molokai, Hawaii in the once private palm grove of King Kamehameha V.  Established in the 1860's, he planted 1,000 coconut palms to represent each warrior in his mighty army and to shade his sacred bathing pool. The instant I saw this place I knew I had to photograph it!  After lots of trial and error, I finally decided that infrared was the best way to depict the history and beauty of the King’s remarkable grove. 

No comments:

Post a Comment